Inspiration and creativity
BCN Design Week, organised by BCD Barcelona Design Centre, is an international event focused on design, innovation and business addressed to those companies and professionals in any industry or productive services that use knowledge and creativity as a driver of its business activity.
In BCD's 40th anniversary year, the topics to be discussed will include health, habitat and eco-design and technology.
- Date: 11-21 June
- Location: Barcelona, Spain
- Price: 75 Euros for two sessions (40 Euros for students)
- Focus: Design, innovation and business
America’s largest modern design event, Dwell on Design returns to Los Angeles between June 21st - 23rd. Curated by the editors of Dwell magazine, the three-day celebration brings together the best and brightest products, services, and thought leaders in modern design today for a series of conversations, demonstrations, tours, and more.
- Date: 21-23 June
- Location: Los Angeles Convention Center
- Price: $375 (early), $400 (advance), $425 (regular)
- Speakers: Michael Graves
Kyoorius is a not for profit organization launched by Transasia Fine Papers, to build a platform for the design community in India, providing designers with exposure and learning, and fuelling a design movement in India. The event is attended by over 1300 delegates every year. Kyoorius sponsors more than 350 student delegates to this conference and about 60 faculty members from over 22 design schools in India, and subsidise more than 40% of the delegate fee for youngsters below the age of 30.
- Date: 29-31 August
- Location: Grand Hyatt, Goa
The London Design Festival is an annual event, held to celebrate and promote London as the design capital of the world, and as the gateway to the International creative community. Taking place on 14th - 22nd September, topics such as branding, architecture and more will be held in high discussions.
dConstruct, held in Brighton, UK, started life in 2005 as a gathering for web geeks, with a heavy emphasis on web design and development. Over the years, however, it's morphed into a broader event covering not just web technologies, but all kinds of hot topics in design, culture and society. This year's theme is "communicating with machines" - which the organisers describe as a deliberately ambiguous phrase.
- Date: Friday 6 September
- Location: Brighton Dome, Brighton, UK
- Price: £135 + VAT
- Focus: Design, culture, technology
- Speakers: Adam Buxton, Sarah Angliss, Dan Williams, Amber Case, Nicole Sullivan, Luke Wroblewski
Creative conference Circles is a place to learn from world-changing thinkers and innovators from the creative community. Here you can cure any creative rut you may be stuck in by mingling with others who share the same passion as you, with topics encompassing creativitiy, processes and journeys.
- Date: 19- 20 September
- Location: Palace Arts Centre, Texas
- Price: $195 (increases to $265 from May 2013)
- Focus: Design, inspiration, development
- Speakers: Cameron Moll, Matthew Smith, Jeff Sheldon, Megan Gilger and more
At Illustrative, 190 leading illustrators, graphic artists and collectives from 21 countries will be shown in a central exhibition in Berlin. The range is from the established illustration art to the latest generation of young artist; from painting, drawing, installations, papercraft, book art and animations.
- Date: 31 May - 16 June
- Location: Direktorenhaus, Berlin
- Price: Free
- Focus: Illustration, animation, design
- Speakers: TBA
Aweek long celebration of all things design, including Graphic Design, Film, Art, Illustration, Web Design, Photography, Visual Effects, Animation, Graffiti, Motion Graphics and Stop Motion. The prestigious event features some of the world's top creatives presenting a selection of their work and feed those lucky enough to attend the event with some invaluable design ear candy.
- Date: 24-25 May (Sydney), 31 May -1 June (Auckland), October (Stockholm, Melbourne, Brisbane, Wellington)
- Price: TBA
- Focus: Design, inspiration
- Speakers: TBA
Montreal Meets is an annual event where designers from around the world come together to share and talk about their experience, topics and more. The idea of the event is simple - to connect with the creative world and inspire people within the design industry.
- Date: 27 - 28 May
- Location: TBA
- Price: $150
- Focus: Design, inspiration
- Speakers: Dean Bradshaw, Radim Malinic, James White, and more
More than a decade ago, OFFF was born as a post-digital culture festival; a meeting place to host contemporary creation through an in-depth programme of conferences, workshops and performances by the most relevant artists of our time.
A festival hosted in Barcelona, New York, Lisbon and Paris, OFFF has featured renowned artists such as Joshua Davis, Stefan Sagmeister, John Maeda, Neville Brody and Erik Spiekermann.
- Date: 6 - 8 June
- Location: Plaça de les glories, Barcelona, Spain
- Price: Starting from €110
- Focus: Digital
- Speakers: Workshops led by Sergio del Puerto, Santiago Ortiz, Aimée Campos and Natalie Melville
Coming up against a creative block? Need some inspiration to recharge those batteries? It’s time you took creativity into your own hands and find new ways to be inspired, new ways to work, and new ways to create. Join thousands of fellow designers in San Francisco to find your inspiration at HOW Design Live 2013.
- Date: 22 - 26 June
- Location: San Francisco (venue TBA)
- Price: TBA
- Focus: Recharge, develop, build, design
- Speakers: TBA
At this event organised by AIGA, the professional association for design, you'll meet plenty of colleagues, mentors and partners while getting practical advice from leading experts. It's also the place to celebrate design excellence and discuss critical issues affecting the design profession.
- Date: 10-12 October
- Location: Minneapolis Convention Center, Minneapolis MN
- Price: $325 - $950
- Focus: Head - Design thinking or strategy; Heart - Design for social impact; and Hand - Design as craft
- Speakers: TBA. Suggest a speaker here.
Frontiers of Interaction was founded in 2005, and has quickly become the leading international technology and innovation conference in Italy. Frontier's mission is to create an experience for the audience: involving everybody in a continuous flow of energy, knowledge and visions. This year’s conference theme is automotive, media and
mobile. They'll be looking closely at how these three pillars of current
society must reinvent themselves and what we are likely to see in the
- Date: 24-25 October
- Location: MiCO - Fiera Milano City, gate 14, via Giovanni Gattamelata, 5, 20149 Milan
- Price: €253 (early bird), €330.00 (standard)
- Focus: Design, technology, interactive
- Speakers: Richard Saul Wurman (creatore and founder TED Conference), Matt Cottam (ceo&Founder, Tellart), Vincent Sider (VP Social Media, BBC Worldwide), Ben Hammersley (Editor at Large, Wired UK), Dave Gray (founder, Limnl), Mark Rigley (Creative concept leader, QNX/Blackberry) and more to come.
Is there a design event you think we should feature? We'll be continually updating this post, so let us know in the comments box below or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next page: Typography events