Check out this free app for the iPhone and iPad, which puts a new 'spin' on browsing photos by arranging them in a swooshy 3D wall.
The name Cooliris might stir a memory - a few years ago, it was a web browser plugin that turned image galleries such as Flickr into impressive 3D walls of thumbnails that you could swoosh through. And here it is as an app where, frankly, it makes even more sense.
The swooshiness has lost none of its coolness, and feedback is even more immediate with touch control. It can hook into fewer services than the web plugin - just your local library, Facebook, Instagram, and a Google Image search - but it’s quick and intuitive to use.
You can add photos to a conversation and share them with friends - though the process is fiddly - a bit like iOS6’s Photo Streams.
Ultimately, it’s just a fun way to navigate photos, and we’d struggle to recommend it if it cost. But it’s free, so worth a download.
- You'll find this review, and many more, in Tap! Magazine issue 22.
- The 20 best iPhone apps for designers
- 40 best iPad apps for designers
- 10 best apps for art on the iPad
- Price: Free
- Works with: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad
- Version: 2.1
- App size: 10.5MB
- Developer: Cooliris, Inc
- Age rating: 4+
Our Verdict 10 /
- It's all about the UX!
- Limited compatibility with photo services
- Social element is a bit fiddly