It's the question that avid Spotify users have been asking (repeatedly) for over a year: when will the Spotify iPad app finally be released? Thankfully, the waiting is now over, and today Spotify announced that Premium subscribers to its music service can now get their hands on a lush, new Spotify iPad app.
In this launch video (below) that pokes fun at the previous Spotify user experience on the iPad, the company highlights a host of the great functionality available in the Spotify iPad app. With 18 million songs at your fingertips, it's clear that Spotify has put a lot of effort into the search functionality within the Spotify iPad app, as well as ensuring that interacting with playlists has been significantly improved on the iPhone experience.
Key new features in thew Spotify iPad app include:
- Retina graphics for iPad - sharper images for album art and the like
- A number of user experience improvements to the app's search functionality
- New 'Now Playing' full-screen view with high-def album art
- Search for playlists, users and music - all from the same view
- Check out what's hot and find trending playlists & songs amongst your friends
- Inbox grouped by user for easy searching
- Gapless playback and crossfade
- AirPlay integration
Of all these features we think the integration of AirPlay, which means you'll be able to stream music to any AirPlay supported device, will provide an added incentive for users of the free version to upgrade to the Premium subscription model.
The Spotify iPad app is available in the App Store now: http://itunes.apple.com/app/spotify/id324684580?mt=8. And, though you'll need a premium subscription to use the Spotify iPad app, non-subscribers can sign up to a 30-day Spotify Premium free trial.