Pixar, Wacom, Blender and BioWare are among the well-known industry names to win big in the annual 3D World CG Awards.
Recognising the work of the entire CG entertainment industry, from software and hardware developers to artists and technicians, the Awards are voted for by readers of 3D World magazine, the world's leading magazine for 3D artists. This year's awards were the biggest ever, with a new category and some big name winners. Read on to find out who won what...
- Don't miss: The 20 best 3D movies for 2012
In this year's awards, ILM/Weta Digital's blockbuster superhero epic The Avengers won in the VFX Feature Film category while the Best Animated Feature Film award was given to Weta Digital's The Aventures of Tintin.
This year a new 'Hall of Fame' award was introduced, and was won by Pixar's John Lasseter, the driving force behind 3D movies such as Bug's Life and Toy Story.
In the world of gaming, the award for Videogame In-Game Graphics went to Rocksteady Studios for their work on Batman: Arkham City.
Meanwhile BioWare scored victory in the Videogame Cinematic Award category for Winner: Mass Effect 3 'Take Earth Back'.
In the Technology category, Wacom's Intuos5 Touch was considered Best Technical Innovation, while the award for Best Software Update went to Blender 2.6.
Here is the full list of winners...
- Animated feature Film: The Adventures of Tintin (Weta Digital)
- Animated short-form: Ruin (Wes Ball)
- VFX feature film: The Avengers (ILM/Weta Digital)
- VFX short-form: Game of Thrones (Pixomondo)
- CG commercial: Audi 'Hummingbird' (The Mill)
- Arch-viz render: House on the Coast (Notos)
- Arch-viz animation: New World Trade Center (Piranha)
- Videogame in-game graphics: Batman: Arkham City (Rocksteady Studios)
- Videogame cinematic award: Mass Effect 3 'Take Earth Back' (BioWare)
Hall of Fame Award
- John Lasseter, Pixar
- New application: Hiero (The Foundry)
- Software update: Blender 2.6 (The Blender Foundation)
- Plug-in: KrakatoaMX 2 (Thinkbox Software)
- Technical innovation: Intuos5 touch (Wacom)
You can find out more about the awards on the 3D World site - and there's more awards goodness to come:
- A special awards issue is on sale from Tuesday 11 September (order it from My Favourite Magazines). Read expert views from Allan McKay, Ronen Bekerman, Jolyon Webb, Sofronis Efstathiou and Alex Telford, plus more reactions from the winners.
- Enjoy videos and slideshows in the digital edition of 3D World for iPad and iPhone! Download the 3D World Magazine app, then get the CG Awards issue from 11 September.