With face masks mandatory in UK shops from today, they're about to become an even more ubiquitous aspect of the new normal post-lockdown. Brands and advertisers have been featuring masks in all manner of clever and informative ads, but one of the most ingenious examples has come from a rather unexpected place.
In a simple but hilarious ad (below), condom manufacturer Durex has placed a face mask next to a condom packet, along with the respective phrases "going out," and "going in". At the top is a simple instruction: "Wear it to protect it". While we can't help out with prophylactics, we can certainly help you find a face mask – here's where to buy face masks in the UK, or how to make a face mask if you're feeling creative.
Followers were clearly amused by the ad. "I love the brain behind this," one Facebook user declared, while others called it "very clever," and "good marketing skills". "This ad has given me life," one particularly ecstatic user replied. The ad was also recently shared on Reddit, where responses were a little more, er, Reddit: "I had no problem breathing in the one on the left, however, I almost killed myself trying to breathe in the second one." Nice.
Durex has been busy lately when it comes to advertising – the company recently unveiled a new, sex-positive rebrand, including a slick new logo and a delightfully named typeface, One Night Sans. Like many of the best print ads, Durex's face mask ad is playful yet important, encouraging safety both inside and outside the bedroom.
Where to buy a face masks: quick links
Where to buy face masks in the US:
- Etsy.com – patterned face masks for as a little at $4
- Vistaprint – Adults and kids RNS face masks for as little as $13
- Disney – Cloth masks featuring best-loved characters for $19.99
- Stringking – CDC-recommended, USA-made cloth masks for just $6.99
- Caraa Cares – bundle deals, including five face masks for just $25
- Los Angeles Apparel - three adjustable face masks for only $30
- Sock Cares – fun and funky face masks for only $12
Where to buy face masks in the UK:
- Etsy.co.uk – artist face masks from just £3.99
- ASOS – stylish designs at very low prices
- Easylife – Standard CE approved surgical face masks, 30 for £29.99
- Buff – stylish face coverings at low prices
- Ebay.co.uk – washable face masks at a bargain price
- HYPE – get three face masks for £24.99 with 100% of profits to the NHS
- Silkies – two protective face masks for $16.99