Whether you start as an intern or are lucky enough to bag a full- time entry-level job, getting your foot in the door of an agency as a junior designer is a well-trodden path into the creative industries.
That's why the new issue of Computer Arts, 255, is packed with all the practical advice you need to land that all-important first job, as well as how to impress and climb through the studio ranks once you've done so.
Get Computer Arts issue 255 now (opens in new tab)
It's a topic also touched on in this month's video documentary, in which Shoreditch-based branding agency SomeOne (opens in new tab) opens its doors. There, interns and juniors alike are given a baptism of fire, and are better designers for it.
As well as sharing tricks for surviving a baptism of fire, SomeOne reveals how to build a coherent brand world, five ingredients of a killer idea and more in issue 255.
Elsewhere in the issue, Adrian Shaughnessy investigates designers' enduring passion for the craft of book design – including an inspiring showcase of standout examples – and discusses how to engage readers with in print in the online age.
Plus: find out how to nail your next interview and win your dream job, with CA's guide to interview techniques.
Also inside CA issue 255
- Six leading designers reveal the biggest mistakes they made in their first jobs and explain how to avoid them
- Illustrate for new markets: how Janine Rewell (opens in new tab) applied her creative talents to a South Korean shopping mall
- Create a killer title sequence: behind the scenes on this year's stunning OFFF titles
- How Dutch artist Levi van Veluw (opens in new tab) is exploiting the depth and drama of a darkness blacker than black
- Glug (opens in new tab)'s Ian Hambleton and Malin Persson explain why they need you to help grow the meet-up
- DesignStudio (opens in new tab)'s James Hurst reveals how to avoid succumbing to brand backlash
- How freelance designer Stephen Kelleher (opens in new tab) used a life-threatening illness as a springboard into a new field: self-portraiture
- All the best new graphic design, illustration and motion graphics work
- And much, much more
Get 20% off Creative Cloud Photography Plan with Computer Arts (opens in new tab)
We've teamed up with Adobe to offer you 20% off Creative Cloud Photography Plan when you subscribe to Computer Arts.
Simply head over to MyFavouriteMagazines and choose between a print or print and digital subscription, and get your copy delivered direct to your door. Please note: the Adobe offer will be emailed to you 30 days after the date of purchase.