Most of us are getting used to the 'new normal' post lockdown, which means, among other things, getting used to face masks. Despite their obvious safety benefits, some are less keen on the coverings than others – which is why Noma Bar, king of the optical illusion, has created a brilliant set of posters encouraging everybody to wear a mask if they want things to get back to normal.
Like his dull superhero posters promoting staying at home in May, the 'wear a mask' posters were created in collaboration with McCann Health New York and medicine company Mucinex, and feature a series of clever illusions. This time, objects representing 'normality' also cleverly resemble face masks (if you haven't got yours yet, here's where to buy a face mask).
'Normal' activities depicted include coffee with friends, cruise holidays and rock concerts, with a coffee cup, cruise ship and the sign of the horns (aka 'that rock-and roll-hand symbol thing') each resembling a face mask. Every poster instructs the viewer: back to normal is up to you. The entertaining designs are bound to make you double-take, and are certainly up there with our favourite poster designs.
“Everything we do at Mucinex is informed by science and data," Claudine Patel, vice president, marketing for Mucine said in a press release. "With increasing evidence that face masks are some of the most powerful tools we have to slow the spread of the virus, Noma's art helps spread the message that it's up to all of us to help fight this global health crisis together in order to get our lives and world back to normal."
I love these clever Wear A Mask posters from graphic designer Noma Bar. pic.twitter.com/h0EhdmVioTAugust 13, 2020
The project is certainly one of the more creative face mask awareness campaigns we've seen, with its unashamedly bright colours and clean lines showing that medical messaging doesn't have to be dull. Speaking of creative, if you want your own face mask to stand out from the crowd, our how to make a face mask guide has you covered.
Where to buy a face mask - quick links
- Etsy.co.uk (opens in new tab) – a wide range of face masks from just £3.99
- Buff (opens in new tab) – protective face coverings at low prices
- HYPE (opens in new tab) – pack of 3 face masks for less than £25, with 100% of profits for the NHS
- Ebay.co.uk (opens in new tab) –cloth face masks at a super-low prices
- Silkies (opens in new tab) – pack of 2 protective face masks for less than $20
- Stringking (opens in new tab) – Cloth masks with CDC-recommendations for just $6.99
- Etsy.com (opens in new tab) – patterned face masks for as a little at $4
- Los Angeles Apparel (opens in new tab) - 3 adjustable face masks for only $30
- Sock Cares (opens in new tab) – cool and funky face masks for only $12