Online video portal Vimeo (opens in new tab) celebrated the creativity of some of the world's best filmmakers last night with a glittering 2012 Vimeo Awards ceremony (opens in new tab) in New York City.
The 2012 Vimeo Awards were the pinnacle of a two month long competition, which saw Vimeo receive over 14,500 entries from 147 countries, with $5,000 (£3,200) prizes being awarded to 13 individual category winners with another $25,000 (£16,000) going to winner of the Grand Prize.
UK entrants made a strong showing on the night, scooping up no less than three category awards, although the top Grand Prize went to US studio Everynone (opens in new tab) for its Symmetry video:
The three UK winners were:
1. Astray Films (opens in new tab), which one the Action Sports category with its film, Dark Side Of The Lens:
2. Pilgrim Films (opens in new tab), which won the best Documentary category with its film, Amar (All Achievements Require Time):
3. Academy Plus (opens in new tab) (aka A+), which won the Fashion category with its film, Skirt:
2012 Vimeo Awards: category winners
The complete list of category winners runs like this:
- Action Sports: Dark Side of the Lens (opens in new tab) by Astray Films
- Advertising: K-Swiss Kenny Powers - MFCEO (opens in new tab) by Caviar
- Animation: Umbra (opens in new tab) by Malcolm Sutherland
- Captured: Sweatshoppe Video Painting Europe (opens in new tab) by Sweatshoppe
- Documentary: Amar (All Great Achievements Require Time) (opens in new tab) by Pilgrim Films
- Experimental: Prie Dieu (opens in new tab) by Cokau
- Fashion: Skirt (opens in new tab) by Academy Plus (A+)
- Lyrical: Symmetry (opens in new tab) by Everynone
- Motion Graphics: A History of the Title Sequence (opens in new tab) by Jurjen Versteeg
- Music Video: Manchester Orchestra: Simple Math (opens in new tab) by Daniels
- Narrative: BLINKY™ (opens in new tab) by Ruairi Robinson
- Series: Often Awesome The Series (opens in new tab) by All Aces Media
- Remix: Rear Window Timelapse (opens in new tab) by Jeff Desom
2012 Vimeo Awards: Honorary Awards
2012 Vimeo Awards also included three honorary awards:
- The Honorary Award for New Creators went to directing duo Daniel Scheinhart and Daniel Kwan, collectively known as DANIELS (opens in new tab), for their outstanding work over the last 18 months.
- The Honorary Award for Social Change was awarded to worldwide collaborative project One Day On Earth (opens in new tab).
- The Honorary Award for Digital Maverick was awarded to openFrameworks (opens in new tab), an open source C++ toolkit for creative coding.