- Read all our app design articles here (opens in new tab)
The main features of the update, as revealed by Colene Chow in this blog post (opens in new tab), are:
- New plugin architecture - you only include the APIs you need and plugins can be automatically installed and removed.
- Better tools - it's now easier to quickly shift between native platforms without learning new vocabularies.
- New APIs - InAppBrowser (opens in new tab) (formerly known as the ChildBrowser plugin) and Globalization (opens in new tab).
Earlier this year PhoneGap added support for iOS 6. Work on iOS 7 (opens in new tab) is "happening now", while support for Windows Phone 8, BlackBerry 10, Firefox OS and Ubuntu are "coming soon".
Adobe has also launched a new service, PhoneGap Build, as part of its Creative Cloud subscription. A cloud-based service built on top of the PhoneGap 3.0 framework, PhoneGap Build lets you easily build those same mobile apps - up to 25 private apps and an unlimited number of public apps - in the cloud.
Quick and easy
"It's hard to beat seeing someone light up when they build their first app," Brian LeRoux, creator of PhoneGap, told our sister title .net magazine in this interview (opens in new tab). "I love that. It takes three short commands in PhoneGap 3."
"The API surface is completely optional and strives to be standards-based, so your code is maximally portable back to regular web browsers. If you want to reuse web code, or web skills, then PhoneGap could be a good solution for you."
PhoneGap Build joins other web design tools in the Creative Cloud including Edge (opens in new tab) and Muse (opens in new tab). Fireworks, the much-loved image editor among web designers, is no longer being developed but Adobe is seeking help from the community in deciding how to replace it - find out how to get involved here (opens in new tab).
Liked this? Read these!
- Download the best free fonts (opens in new tab)
- Free Photoshop brushes (opens in new tab) every creative must have
- Free Photoshop actions (opens in new tab) to create stunning effects
- Download free textures: high resolution and ready to use now
Do you use PhoneGap, or another app-building tool? What do you think of it? Share your views in the comments below!